Fly with the wind, be in the endless summer! Fuerteventura is one of the best destinations in Europe for kitesurfing. Canary Islands are famous for amazing kitesurfing spots, variety of beautiful sandy beaches, strong wind and warm weather all year round. Fuerteventura is one of the best locations for wind lovers, water sports fanatics. The name of Fuerteventura means strong wind, so you will find here big variety of different intensities wind and many kitesurf spots for all levels kite surfers. All this makes Fuerteventura one of the most popular destinations among kitesurfers and wind lovers.
Kitesurf spots in Fuerteventura
The best kitesurfing locations on Fuerteventura are in the North and South. In the North of the Island amazing spots are in Corralejo and El Cotillo. South Coast has amazing spots in Caleta de Fuste, Playa de Sotavento and Playa de Esquinzo.
North Shore in Fuerteventura has amazing kitesurf spots for all levels kiters, from beginners to pro.
Sotavento spot in the South is famous for Windsurfing & Kiteboarding World Cup, where every year the world’s best kiteboarders and windsurfers come to battle in World Championship. Elite athletes are competing in both Freestyle & Big Air Grand Slam disciples. So don’t miss chance to go kitesurfing in the world’s famous kitesurf spot.
Most of the time wind direction in Fuerteventura is N to NE, which is good for Flag Beach spot in the North. When the wind is NW to N is good for El Cotillo spot.
The strongest wind season in Fuerteventura is during summer time, starting from April, till October. The highest season is May, June and July. But even if you come during winter time, you will find good wind for kitesurfing.
Kitesurf beginners at Fuerteventura
Is it safe for beginners to learn kitesurfing in Fuerteventura? Yes. In Fuerteventura there are many kitesurf sandy endless beaches. As well as, lessons can be taken with boat. Good spot to learn kitesurfing is Flag Beach spot or Sotavento lagoon, when it is high tide.
Fuerteventura has many surf shop, kite clubs and kitesurf schools, where you can buy or rent kite equipment. So if you don’t want to travel with you kite gear, of you don’t have it, don’t worry – you will be able to get it in Fuerteventura. If you rent kitesurf equipment, usually you are able to change it and try different kites.
Car rental in Fuerteventura
If you want to enjoy Island 100% and experience more than one kite surf spot, it is advisable to rent a car be free to go everywhere where you want to go. It is possible to hire kitesurf school, which will take you to kitesurfing lessons with transport and will bring you back home. But if you want to be independent and explore the island and try different kitesurf spots, we recommend you to rent a car. Good and cheap car rental offers in Fuerteventura you can get here.
Fuerteventura hotels and accommodation
In Fuerteventura it is popular for kite surfers to stay in surf houses or surfcamps with other water sport lovers and surfers. It is amazing decision for solo travellers. In surf camp you will easily find new friends and similar mind people. It is perfect choice for budget holidays! You can stay in dorm room for around 18-20 euros per night or you can get private room in Surf House for around 38 euros per night. More options to stay in surf camp in Fuerteventura you can find here.
If you want more comfort and privacy you can rent private self-catering apartments with private kitchen, bathroom and living room. It is perfect choice for couples, or small groups of friends and families. Usually in apartment it is allowed to stay for maximum 3-4 people. You can book apartment in Fuerteventura here.
If you want to stay in hotel, Fuerteventura has to offer plenty of hotels with all-inclusive services. Usually hotels are more expensive choice than apartments. If you want to book hotel, you can find the list here.
Additional Activities in Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura is amazing place to have active and relaxing holidays all year round. Despite kitesurfing, Fuerteventura is famous for surfing, windsurfing, diving, sailing, cycling and beach holidays. Additionally you must to go:
- Surfing in Fuerteventura. Classic, perfect waves all year round for all level surfers attract many surfers and wave lovers to this island. Fuerteventura is called the “European Hawaii”. Fuerteventura has many reef breaks and beach breaks. Constant swell allows to surf all year round. For this and many other reason Fuerteventura is discovered as surfers paradise. Most of the popular surf spots are located in the North of the Island. If you want to learn surfing or improve your level, you can book surf camp or surfing lessons here.
- Windsurfing in Fuerteventura is as famous as other water sports. You can do windsurfing in the same spots as kitesurfing. The most popular are spots in the North and South.
- Snorkelling in Fuerteventura is pretty famous among all travellers. Beautiful crystal-clear water and big variety of different fishes attracts many tourists. If you stay in the North of Island you can go for snorkelling to Lobos Island.
- Diving in Fuerteventura is one of the biggest attraction in the Island. Here you can see a lot of exotic fishes, like barracudas, mackerels and tuna. In Fuerteventura you can get diving course for any level and is suitable for both beginners and experienced divers.
- Horse riding is another popular activity in the Island. You get horse-riding excursion or do horse-riding by yourself in the horse-riding center.
What to do in Fuerteventura?
You can’t leave Fuerteventura without climbing in to Volcano. The highest point of this island is called Pico de la Zarza (807 m) on the Jandía Peninsula in the southern part of this island. Also you have to visit wild Lobos Island, a nature reserve. located just 2 km from Fuerteventura. You can take ferry from Corralejo, aprox. 15 min.